Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Countdown

Well.
Now that another successful Brunch for a Cause is in the bag (huge thanks to all who attended and made it happen), I'm suddenly faced with the reality that I leave in less than a month! I had been focusing all my energies into preparing for last weekend's fundraiser, and that was my excuse for putting off other things.


I no longer have an excuse!

So, now, I'm looking around my apartment thinking about everything that needs to be packed up and stored, how I am going to decide what to take and what to leave, and thinking that packing for 9 months is going to be a bit different than packing for 2 or 3! I may not really be able to bring more things along, as my storage space on board will be the same tiny closet + 2 shelves as always. I am working on a list to ship some essentials (toiletries mainly) a few months in so I don't run out, but also don't take up too much room in the cabin.

Meanwhile, I keep tabs when I can on the current goings on aboard the ship, and with the Advance team preparing the way for us in Senegal. Here's a couple updates I thought worth sharing!

From the Advance Team

In Senegal, as we speak, and for the last few months, a team of experienced Mercy Ships volunteers has been scouting locations, shaking hands, and making all the necessary arrangements for a smooth arrival and field service. This is, as I've mentioned, the first time Mercy Ships has visited Senegal*, so it is a lot of new ground to break. We have to have written agreements covering immigration/visas, healthcare provision, local employment, transportation, and more. Speaking of employment, the HR side of things just shared that they have received a whopping 2,100 applications for day crew positions. They are currently in the middle of the interview process, and I am excited to meet the Ward Day Crew team they will end up hiring!

*Correction: The first time the Africa Mercy has visited. The first Mercy Ship, the Anastasis, carried out a 4-month field service in Senegal back in 1993.

From Shipyard

The Africa Mercy has spent the past couple months getting sanded, blasted, upgraded, repaired, parts replaced, old carpet torn out and new hardwood put down, and a shiny new paint job to boot. It has just gotten out of dry dock and back into the water, and will be very soon departing the Canary Islands to set sail down the coast to Dakar! 

10 months of wear & tear
2 months of R&R (repairs & restoration)!
I suppose this has been enough procrastination now, and I must get some things done around here!
Thank you all for standing along side me in this journey.

À la prochaine,
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment