Monday, September 21, 2015

30 Days Has September...



30.

The countdown begins.

That's how many days before I leave.

I feel like there's 300 things left to do, but the end is in sight.

Actually, there's only 13 things on my to-do list, so I guess that just leaves the other 287 as things I need to pack.

I'm gonna need a bigger bag.


     But in the meantime...I'm going to attempt to do one blog post a day. I'm hoping this will help keep me motivated and accountable for all the other stuff I need to do, and not, in fact, be another way of procrastinating. :/

So, here's post number ONE, of "30 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Madagascar (and possibly more things once I actually arrive and discover them)!"



MADAGASCAR IS THE FOURTH LARGEST ISLAND IN THE WORLD!




     At 587,040 square kilometers, it's almost the size of Saskatchewan. Only the islands of Greenland, New Guinea, and Borneo are larger. I believe the biggest island I've ever been on is Vancouver Island, which is, like, pretty big. Madagascar is 18 times bigger. The coastline is almost 5,000 km long. That would take about 6 months to walk around.


     During my stay, I won't be doing much walking around on the island itself, but I will be walking about 5 km a day per shift. Who needs exercise when you're a nurse!

     If you're saying to yourself right now, "Wait, self, isn't Australia gigantic and almost-definitely bigger than all of those islands?" Well, you're right. Apparently, though, Australia doesn't actually count as an island, it's a "Continental Landmass." So it's SO BIG it gets bumped up to the heavyweight category and doesn't get to be biggest. TIL.

Stay tuned tomorrow for fact #29!

No comments:

Post a Comment