Tuesday, May 12, 2015

It's Official!!

    Well, I can finally say definitively that I'm going to serve with Mercy Ships, from mid-October to mid-December!
    For those of you who don't know, Mercy Ships is an international organization that operates a floating, world-class hospital in the ports of developing nations. They provide 100% FREE services to anyone who needs them; primarily surgical, opthamalogic, and dental procedures.

(warning, someone might be cutting onions in here)

    They are able to operate this way due to many generous donors, but also because their volunteers actually pay to be there. The crew, physicians and nurses all pay or fundraise a monthly crew fee which covers their room, board, and living expenses.



    While I'm there, the ship will be in Toamasina (aka Tamatave), Madagascar, and I will be working on the surgical ward (ok, let's just get it out there, the land of lemurszebufoosa, and yes, King Julian).


    I am eagerly anticipating this new adventure; it's something I've been working towards since I was still in university. Having been lucky enough to be born in a country where healthcare is free and state-of-the-art is easy to take for granted, but I'm excited to be able to bring that level of care to people who have never seen it before.

    Please stay tuned, I'll be updating this blog with info on my preparations, and opportunities to help support me in this endeavor! And, of course, my experiences while I'm there!

-Danita

No comments:

Post a Comment